OWA Interactive Map
*click on map (Download Interactive Map How-To Guide HERE)
Are you a prospective subcontractor? Access the interactive map (above) showing all current inventory with the OWA.
- Large BLUE dots indicate sites that have recently been assigned to a decommissioning Prime Contractor.
- Large GREEN dots indicate sites that have recently been assigned to an environmental Prime Contractor.
You may contact these Prime Contractors regarding any pending planned work on these sites.
- Any BLUE or GREEN dots with YELLOW borders represent sites that have recently been orphaned and have not yet been assigned to a Prime Contractor.
Your are encouraged to check the map regularly as these sites will be assigned to Prime Contractors once initial inspections have been completed.
- GREEN stars represent WIPA Environment (Reclamation and/or remediation) sites.
- BLUE stars represent WIPA downhole and/or surface decommissioning sites.
- GREEN stars with a YELLOW border represent WIPA turnover/intake for Environment (Reclamation and/or remediation) sites.
- BLUE stars with a YELLOW border represent WIPA turnover/intake for downhole and/or surface decommissioning sites.
OWA Orphan Inventory Lists
The attached lists of orphan properties are available as a downloadable Portable Document Format (PDF) file, viewable with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
The list below is a summary of wells, facilities and pipelines which are licensed to defunct and/or insolvent licensees and are designated orphans by the AER for the purpose of decommissioning. Legacy wells under long term care and custody are excluded. Please contact the Orphan Well Association for more information.
If you are having difficulties viewing these lists, please contact: Marcia Baker at (403) 297-6416 or by email email@example.com
For information on how to take over an orphan well, please see the Producers.
PLEASE NOTE: Only assets designated as orphan by the AER are under the management of the OWA.
As of December 1, 2023, orphan inventory counts are as follows:
|2,815||Orphan Sites for Decommissioning |
(sites will start reclamation process after decommissioning has been fully completed)
|Assets included on the 2,815 sites are:|
|1,868||Orphan Wellbores for Decommissioning||EXCEL|
|255||Orphan Facilities for Decommissioning||EXCEL|
|2,196||Orphan Pipelines for Decommissioning||EXCEL|
|7,187||Orphan Sites for Reclamation (decommissioning has been fully completed)||EXCEL|
OWA Orphan Work Status
The following summary is a breakdown of abandonment and reclamation work completed or ongoing in 2023.
1,868 Orphan Wellbores for Decommissioning
- 18% in progress or planned for work in current fiscal year (April 1, 2023 to March 31, 2024)
- 11% downhole decommissioning/abandonment completed (only cut & cap remaining)
7,187 Orphan Sites for Reclamation
- 31% in environmental assessment phase
- 5% in remediation phase
- 17% in reclamation phase
- 47% in vegetation monitoring only or final certification phase
WIPA Inventory Lists
The following table includes all inventory that falls under the WIPA program.
What is a WIPA?
A Working Interest Participant Agreement (WIPA) is an agreement between the OWA and Working Interest Participants (WIP’s) to execute the suspension, abandonment, decommissioning, remediation or reclamation work on a WIP-controlled site(s) licensed to a defunct company. The overall intent of any WIPA entered into by the OWA must always be based on the foundation of reducing costs to the Orphan Fund. Based on economies of scale, the OWA can typically execute projects for substantially less cost than a WIP.
For more information on WIPAs, click HERE.
|173||WIPA – Sites for Decommissioning||EXCEL|
|161||WIPA – Wellbores for Decommissioning||EXCEL|
|11||WIPA – Facilities for Decommissioning||EXCEL|
|267||WIPA – Sites for Reclamation||EXCEL|
AER Well Information
See attached for a list of wells with production information from the AER. Please note the AER disclaimer at the end of the attached list and that the AER list includes multiple events. For any further inquiries about the information in this report, please contact the AER at firstname.lastname@example.org
|AER License Details Report||EXCEL|
The Orphan Well Association or OWA makes no representation, warranties, or guarantees, expressed or implied, for the fitness of the data with respect to its use. The OWA is not responsible for any costs incurred from use of the information in this list.
The AER Licence Details Report includes multiple events for individual wells in order to report production. Therefore there will be more entries than number of wells. Users of this list are advised that it does not necessarily reflect the current inventory of orphan wells held by the OWA and users are responsible for confirming any information used.